Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wild Texas

Thinking about Texas while I was still living up north, I envisioned it as many Northerners do;  as a veritable desert, dry, barren, and brown. I had always managed to come to visit my family during the beginning, middle, or end of a drought. Flying over landscape that looked like it had been computer generated to resemble a nuclear waste land. While this may have been true during those times of drought, it certainly is not the case now. I have found an unbelievable array of wild green things with the most exquisite flowers which I never noticed before.

These two pictures above, and the two below are of a bush called, "Pride of Barbados". I do not know if I captured its true essence, but it is dazzling!

It has spears with clusters of flowers, red in the center and then its petals are a bright yellow.
If you get a chance to check it out on Google, do!
I think it has found a place in my garden plans for next year.

  This little flower growing on the side of the road is almost invisible. Its total width is about 1/4 of an inch. The grass runners all around it look like ropes. But it was just too pretty to pass by. I think it is Texas Bindweed. 


These lite purple beauties I believe are Purple Bindweed. It had a white spiral pistil, which was offset by a deep purple center. They seem to be growing wild in everyone's yard.




 The Evening Primrose grows everywhere!



These  I believe are called Indian Blanket. They have beautiful  red-yellow petals; and when they all fall off, they are still fantastic with their little prickly globes. Fields and fields of these are everywhere you look.



  The two below are called Mexican Hat. The wind was blowing so hard the morning I took these pictures that I did not think that any of these would actually come out. They are so distinctive that you can spot them driving down the road.



These are called Silver-Leaf Nightshade. They are absolutely beautiful, but poisonous.



Not really sure what this one is. It caught my eye because it looked so fragile. Seems to be very similar Feverfew.


These microscopic flowers are called Frog Fruit. How cute is that! They are millimeters in size, but so unique. My mom thought I was crazy for taking pictures of weeds.
It just goes to show .....one man's weeds is another man's wild flowers!



...and these colorful Lantana were right in the middle of everything.






So much for my first foray into the wilds of Texas...lol!
Thanks for stopping by.

Be Well,
Christina

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful! Next spring, you will be able to see bluebonnets, our state flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait! I have seen photos, but everyone says that pics pale in comparison to the real thing! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pride of Barbados bush is really colourful. Weeds do have some great flowers. We have Japenese bindweed in Northern Ireland and it is a nightmare to remove but it does have nice flowers. I love butter cups in flower, especially large groupings of them (nut not in my garden).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeds never cease to amaze me! Most people discount them, but in the states, a flower may be a weed in one region and a considered a garden flower in another.
      I am one of those nature nuts who is truly fascinated with all that is green.:) Some people are into baseball, or football. For me it has always been nature.
      I looked up your Japanese Bindweed and found it to be quite pretty. It so resembles the morning glory, which I am a fan of. I definitely would have a hard time pulling it out of my garden! I too, am a butter cup fan. My last yard in the north had over 60 trees in the yard, so getting flowers to grow was tough, as it was a rather small yard for that many older trees. Yet the butter cups never failed to cover the side yard. lol As much as the neighbors questioned me about them, I did not have the heart to get rid of them because my kitchen faced out that window. Nothing prettier than those little yellow faces in the morning. Silly...huh?

      Delete