Sunday, August 26, 2012

A new start...

The tiller came today, along with a wonderful crew, who worked on the backyard most of the day. They did a lovely job at a very good price. I am so happy and excited that I can start planting my fall garden. Below is what was left of the garden. Dying things that needed to hit the compost pile.


This was all that was left of the back,


and the back corner.


Now, it looks like this.






They tilled in a flatbed of top soil, and put in 2x6 plain pine untreated boards for the border. The tilling took forever. The caliche "soil" here in the back was like a brick! The "grass" if you can call it that, was attached like tendrils into the deepest part of this soil. They worked so hard to get the grass out, and it kept winding around their huge industrial tiller to the point where they had to stop and cut the tendrils out of the blades. I could not imagine what I would have done without them.

I have got plans for blueberries, and blackberries, another fig, peas, and fava's and the list goes on and on. I know that I will have to narrow the list down, but for now, the first flush of a new-virgin-untouched-pallet just waiting for life to spring forth, brings joy to my heart.

I cannot wait to have something growing again to show you all!
For now.......I am off to look at seed packs and dream!


Be safe,
Christina

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful job you have done, can't wait to see it full of plants and veggies. Such an interesting idea to have your vegetable patch running around the main grass area like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wanted it around the edge so that the pups could still have free roam....for now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very tidy and fresh. I'm sure your very pleased - I'd be sitting outside looking at it for hours on end probably. Will be great to plant up and enjoy over the years.

    ReplyDelete